Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday - P.S. Report card information

Our new report cards are causing some concerns with grading. I thought I would take a minute out to explain. I will also send this letter home with the students. Your child's "Real" math grade is the number grades on the extra sheet of paper. The letter grade is simply the grade on the last two tests. I could have included all of the tests, but the idea is the child was to improve as the trimester went on.

Suppose your child had to do the problem 2/3 + 4/6. We all know that you can't add problems with different denominators, that you must get the denominator the same. This is one of the requirements for the students to learn and is listed on the grade sheet. Suppose your child showed in their work that they got the denominators the same, but then they reduced before they added. (This is an actual circumstance.) When I check the math paper, the answer is wrong. But when I look at how the child did the problem, I realize they almost have the concept, just not 100%. This child would not get a one. The child knows most of the steps, so I would give that child a 2. A 3 means they know and get the problem correct every time.

We are so used to grades, but this grading plan helps parents and teachers see exactly what it is that the child is not understanding. I am asking different children to stay in for a few minutes at different recesses to help those who did not understand fractions clearly. I am working with the first group right now and then will move onto the second group after spring break.

No comments: